Unsightly sweat stains regardless of the temperature? Embarrassing body odor? Ineffective deodorant? If any of these things sound familiar, then you might be dealing with axillary hyperhidrosis, more commonly known as excessive underarm sweating.
Axillary hyperhidrosis, a condition that affects nearly 3.12% of individuals in the United States, can be devastating to a person’s self-esteem and social life. Sweating shouldn’t be embarrassing because it is a natural and necessary function that helps to regulate our body temperature – when the body overheats, the evaporation of sweat cools the body down. Think of sweating as your body’s own air conditioning system. Unfortunately, in those with axillary hyperhidrosis, an abnormal amount of sweat is produced regardless of physical activity or body temperature.
In the past, treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis has been limited to irritating prescription deodorants and expensive rounds of regular Botox injections. Today there is a long term solution to humiliating underarm sweat. An FDA approved treatment called miraDry® is a non-surgical solution that reduces excessive underarm sweat and odor using thermal energy to gently eliminate sweat glands – in as little as 90 minutes.
While it’s true that sweating is a vital function which regulates our body’s temperature, the sweat glands in the underarm region are not needed for the overall process because the underarms hold only 2% of the body’s total sweat glands.The other 98% are distributed throughout the body and are efficient in maintaining a healthy body temperature without the sweat glands in the axillae.
Prior to the procedure the underarm region is numbed with a local anesthetic so very little is felt during the session. A large volume of saline is also injected prior to the treatment to lift the sweat glands away from any underlying nerves, making the procedure comfortable and safe. Lying back in a relaxed position as the miraDry® sophisticated handheld device passes over the underarm area using a vacuum to gently pull the skin to the applicator. A cooling plate provides comfort and prevents heat related injury during the process. From start to finish the miraDry® procedure is complete in about 90 minutes.
Side effects from miraDry®, such as minor skin irritation are rare but mild to moderate swelling and bruising can be common for one to two weeks post-treatment. Loose clothing and the use of a cold compress such as an ice pack or water bottle are recommended to ease any post-procedure discomfort. Over-the-counter pain medications may also be used if necessary. No permanent side effects have been reported.
The good news is that once sweat glands are removed they do not grow back. This makes miraDry® the only permanent, non-invasive solution to reduce excessive underarm sweat. Prior to the introduction of miraDry®, medications and treatments to axillary hyperhidrosis have only been temporary – deodorant which only works while wearing it and Botox injections which must be repeated every 3 months to keep excessive sweat away. The permanent results provided by miraDry® is a life changing treatment.
Excessive sweating doesn’t have to disrupt your life anymore thanks to miraDry®, an FDA-approved, long-term solution for axillary hyperhidrosis. miraDry® is safe and effective, and OWM Integrative Wellness has the experience to help eliminate excessive underarm sweating. Visit us here or call 716.453.2252 today and request an appointment.