As we adjust to our new normal to prevent the spread of COVID-19, face mask use has become a part of our daily lifestyle. An unintended consequence of constant face mask use is the increase in acne.
As we adjust to our new normal to prevent the spread of COVID-19, face mask use has become a part of our daily lifestyle. An unintended consequence of constant face mask use is the increase in acne. This type of acne will typically present as bumps at the surface, which are classified as whiteheads or blackheads. The humid environment beneath the mask allows for bacteria growth and clogged pores. Constant friction on the skin from the mask can also breakdown the skin and cause impairment on the skin’s barrier, which will make it more susceptible to breakouts.
How to Prevent:
- Be sure to cleanse the skin twice a day with a gentle cleanser that does not strip the skin. Environ Cleansing Gel or Lotion both gently remove skins impurities while keeping the skin supple and moist.
- Exfoliate your skin a couple times a week to eliminate dead skin cells build up and to clear out pores. Doing so can help prevent them from clogging. Environ Clay Mask is a gentle exfoliating polish that removes surface debris without using harsh scrubs.
- Protect your skin with moisturizer. Using a moisturizer with vitamins A, C, E and antioxidants will help increase the overall health of the skin, keeping it hydrated and healthy, which means it is less susceptible to damage. Environ AVST moisturizers include all the above. Clients who have never been on a vitamin A regimen, start at level 1 and work their way up through the levels. As you move through each level, the vitamins become more potent and more active.
- Add a protective barrier with SPF. Choosing a physical block or a mineral sunscreen that uses titanium dioxide, acts as a barrier on the skin; as it does not get absorbed. The Sunscreen then acts as a shield between your skin and the mask. Environ RAD is an SPF 30 that should be used daily.
- Do not wear makeup! Makeup and humidity to not mix. This causes clogged pores, bacteria, and breakouts! Spot treat your problem areas around the mask with concealer, but do not use concealer, foundation or any other face product while wearing a mask.
- Let your skin breathe! When you can go makeup free, do it.
- If wearing cloth masks, do not wear the same mask twice without washing. Bacteria and sweat can build up and cause clogged pores which equal breakouts…see the trend here?! Have multiple face masks available and wash them regularly. Try a silk material, this will cause less friction on the skin.
How to treat:
If you are currently struggling with maskne, it is important to use products that will clean, exfoliate and keep the skin free of bacteria. Environ Focus Care Clarity line includes products that are specially formulated to clean, control and clear the effects of the root cause of breakouts. Using proven ingredients like salicylic acid, AHA’s and tea tree oil. If you are struggling with maskne, please contact one of our estheticians for a free skincare consultation, we can formulate a customized at-home routine to get your skin clear in no time. You can also purchase products online and pick them up at the spa! For product: https://www.vagaro.com/owmspadowntowncom/products